About Bedford Cooperative
Bedford Cooperative, located the Bedford, Virginia serves Bedford County and the surrounding area since 1931. Our beginnings as Virginia Seed Service (VSS), when 75 Bedford County residents involved in agriculture met at the firehouse to organize the Cooperative. Their mission was to form a cooperative to have purchasing power for farmers. At the organizational meeting a manager was appointed and the business opened in a building in the downtown Bedford area. In just 2 short years farmer support of VSS grew to the point there was a need for additional space, rail access and services. In 1933, to meet those needs VSS moved to the location on Depot Street. That location is still used today for receiving product by rail and warehousing.
The Board had the foresight to purchase land on the newly constructed Independence Blvd on the east side of Bedford. In 1996 a new showroom and fertilizer facility were built here. Bedford Cooperative continues to grow due to the support of the farmers and community. Since the move to the present location a second fertilizer blender, greenhouse and several storage buildings have been added.
Bedford Cooperative, Inc continues to pride ourselves on customer service. We have increased our truck fleet and personnel to better service our customers. We partner with youth organizations to enhance their funds, facilities and knowledge. Bedford Cooperative reaches out to experts in different fields to speak with customers at events throughout the year. We have delivery and call/pick up service in an effort to make shopping with us more convenient. We are always striving for better ways to service the need of customers and community. We look forward to assisting you when in come in or call the store.